Tron — Legacy
In November 2010, Hewlett Packard sponsored Disney’s TRON: Legacy to promote ‘HP ePrint’ (a range of printers allowing mobile devices to email content directly to the printer – removing the need for a PC).
Guided had to be sympathetic to and drive awareness of the TRON franchise (Disney’s flagship film release in 2010), and provide a credible experience that wouldn’t alienate core fans – but also deliver HP the results they needed – a balancing act.
Guided set out to create an experience and visual spectacle using the stunning TRON: Legacy visual style… and in doing so, create photo opportunities for smartphone users.
Once they had taken pictures, product demo was offered – visitors were able to print their photos from the event. We knew that a stunning spectacle would also create engaging online content which would take ePrint to a far wider audience that just the live event.
The HP ePrint and TRON: Legacy experience was a week-long visual spectacle and immersive experience on London’s Southbank (the perfect architecture to complement the visual style of TRON). A 10 minute architecturally mapped animation of the TRON: Legacy ‘Grid’ was projected onto the Queen Elizabeth Hall’s ‘sun-deck’, complemented with an edit of Daft Punk’s sound track.
Down at street/river level, we recreated Flynn’s Arcade as the HP ePrint demo area.
Here’s the case study film…
- Numerous online listings such as This Is London and View London
- 38 print articles and 2 radio mentions
- 1200 Tweets with a combined reach into the millions
- Tweeted by the likes of Creative Review, Boing Boing, StyleBubble, Contagious Magazine
- Official videos featured on sites as diverse as Wired, Esquire, Fubiz, The Awesomer, Motionographer, FormFitfyFive and AgencySpy…
- 120k combined views of 3 official videos
- 600k combined loads (OTS)
- 526 Vimeo likes
- Numerous UGC uploads across Youtube, Flickr and social networks
- 76% increase in HP UK Twitter followers
- Video content embedded on over 560 blogs, websites and social media profiles
- 5k visitors to the event, each spending at least 15 minutes there
- 1200 competition entrants (TRON: Legacy Premiere tickets)
- 35k footfall at street level
- Overall OTS in 1st week of 2.5m+
Here’s the teaser trailer film…
And for any animation nerds, here’s the full 10 minute animated projection…